On the 19th of July, the FSFE had its first ever Event Coordination Meeting. As a volunteer organisation, the FSFE participate at more conferences than even I know about. Just last year, we were at FOSDEM (Belgium), T-Dose (Netherlands), FiFFkon (Germany), RMLL/LSM (France), Veganmania (Austria), Euskal Encounter (Spain), 32C3 (Germany), Linuxtage (Austria), Chaos Cologne Conference (Germany), Linuxwochen (Austria), FrOSCon (Germany), DebConf (Germany) and OpenTech Summit (Germany).
I've probably missed a few, and there have also been people from the FSFE participating at events, even if the FSFE did not exhibit there. While most of the events where we participate are organised by our volunteers, and most of them decide for themselves which events they want to participate in, we've been wanting to get the people who organise events for us in better contact both with each other, and with our staff who support them (with flyers, merchandise, and so on).
We'll have these event coordination meetings regularly, and we meet virtually in a Jabber chatroom, so that as many people as possible can participate if they want to. Even if you don't have an event that you help us participate in, you may know of some event where the FSFE should participate, and the meetings are a good way to make this known (aside from adding it directly to our wiki).
The meeting we had on the 19th was pretty uneventful in that it was our first one and most of the work was spent reviewing our current list of events and making sure everyone was up to speed but the general concept of such meetings seem to make sense and in general, we want to keep them but make sure for future meetings to very explicitly invite the volunteers who we know are organising events in the near future.
But you're waiting for the events, right? Okay, here's what we came up with (you can find everything on our events page on our wiki, or on our web pages -- we will eventually need to combine the two):
- FrOScon (St. Augustin, Germany, the 20-21st of August): Max, Polina and hopefully some Bonn fellows will coordinate and organise a booth for the FSFE there.
- FSFE Summit (Berlin, Germany, the 2nd-4th of September): Organised by the FSFE (Erik is in charge with help from our intern Cellini)
- Rotlintstraßenfest (Frankfurt, 10th of September): Our local Fellowship group in the area will participate to inform about free software.
- Kieler Linuxtage (Kiel, the 16th-17th of September): A booth organised by Dominic Hopf
- Wear Fair (Linz, Austria, the 23rd-24th of September): Our amazing Austrian team is putting up a booth for us
- LinuxCon Europe (Berlin, the 4th-6th of October): Olga and Polina are organising a booth there, thanks to a generous offer from the Linux Foundation to find us a place at the event.
- OpenRheinRuhr (Oberhausen, Germany, the 5th-6th of November): Max, Erik, Matthias and others helping to organise a booth.
- Paris Open Source Summit (Paris, the 16-17th of November): Polina will hopefully be there to give a talk.
- FOSDEM (Brussels, Belgium, the 4-5th of February 2017): Reinhard is organising our booth.
Aside from these, there are also Fellowship and volunteer meetings in Hamburg, Bamberg, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt. So if you're anywhere in the area of any of these events, drop by and say hi!
For our next coordination meeting, we'll try to cover larger parts of 2017 as well and discuss a bit more about how we can shape our Wiki information and content so we have the relevant information about each event and can make sure our staff help send out whatever merchandise and information material is needed well in time.
And if you think the FSFE should be attending an event you know about, just join the next meeting and let us know, or get in touch with me right away: firstname.lastname@example.org.